Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week 1

So I have selected to use Hal Higdon's 18 week training program for the big event. Three short runs a week and one long run. It doesn't seem too daunting until you try to fit it all in with the kids, the house, the hubs, and the fact that I live in south GA. There are only certain times of day that a human can be outside without physically self com busting due to atmospheric pressure and humidity.

My marathon starting condition, ahh well, I can finish three miles in 38 minutes. Power walkers can push past me, but I am able to complete my short runs without any real problems. Sunday I had my long run. After talking with my spartan sister (marathon girl). She was concerned about me jumping right into 6 miles. The one good thing about my body is it can endure a lot. 31 hrs of ALL NATURAL childbirth, not a Tylenol, a Motrin, just a lot of love and support. After a very long day and night we greeted our 9lb 15oz baby girl. My body and my mind together can do some amazing things, but I didn't want to get hurt right out of the gate. I decided to shoot for 5.5.

2 miles in I wanted to turn around. It was during this run that I realized just how hard this was really going to be. I have been leaving myself the option of just doing the half, but during that run I realized I was just giving myself an exit route from the blood, sweat, and tears. Don't get me wrong, blood, sweat and tears go into a 1/2 too, I was just leaving the door open so I could "run" when it got too tough. It was on that run that I imagined crossing the finish line with girls that I decided to really get this done.

Now what the hell was I thinking???? I mean realistically I will be running for over 5 hours!!! That's the time it takes to drive to Orlando with 2 potty breaks! I have to limit what I drink in the car so I won't have to pee, thank God I will be sweating it out. I missed one short one this week which Hal says is ok, but I learned during my long run how important it is for me.

Week 1: 10.5 miles

4 comments:

  1. We are using the same plan! Very much looking forward to my first half. Especially once i get this "long run" under my belt...then I'll feel like its marathon season. Look forward to following your path to the marathon.

    Melissa
    http://72runs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. erm...I meant my first FULL...AH! Panicking already :)

    ReplyDelete