Sunday, July 31, 2011

22 vs 32.....week 5

It's hard to believe that in 3 short months I will be lacing up and hitting the pavement for 26.2. The big race just happens to me my 33rd birthday. That was actually a huge part in my decision to run this marathon. I mean what a better way to creep closer to 40 then by completing this race. As I trained this week my body was sending me a message, a very quite, but a very clear message..."girl you aren't in your 20's any more".

I ran my short runs Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, instead of Tue-Thurs because I had a girls' weekend planned with two of best girl friends. This left my long run for Friday am. I headed out to slam out 9 miles before our mini road trip to Atlanta. I was doing just fine until I reached the 8.5 mile mark. My knee took a moment to have a conversation with me. It went a little something like this:

"So as much as I appreciate you utilizing me again, do you need to be reminded of the last 3 yrs? In the last 3 yrs you have gained 40lbs, lost 40 lbs. Gained 30lbs, lost 30lbs. Gained 10lbs, and are currently holding on to those with a vengeance. Although the 70lb roller coaster was all baby induced and the outcomes are adorable, you stole precious ligament strength while nursing your young from me too. You literally milked away my strength and endurance because for every ounce you made I became looser and looser. Now here you are finally getting me off the couch and utilizing me again but honey it ain't 2007."

Seconds later my knee got quite and decided to throb and throw a very toddler like tantrum. She refused to do what I asked. As I placed one foot down in front of the other she bucked and bumbled like a 2yr old. So I did what any mother would do. I put that kid in time out. I ended my run and walked the last 1/2 a mile. The tantrum wasn't that bad, but I got the message. It wasn't worth permanent dysfunction to run the last half a mile. After all it's only week 5. I'm not running to fast, but my WHOLE body has changed in the last 3 yr years. I am not in my 20's any more and even though my drive and determination is there, I need to work a little harder on conditioning the whole body.

But before I work like a 32 yr old, I had to play like a 20 yr old! What a weekend! My knee wasn't the only part of body letting me know I wasn't 22 any more. Late nights with the ladies were totally worth the copious amounts of ibuprofen consumed in the last 48 hrs. You know getting older is inevitable, but your spirit doesn't have to gray. I loved walking down memory lane with my girls, but what I really loved was the fact that these girls have shared my past, my present, and will without a doubt be a part of my future.


Week 5: 19 miles
Lesson learned: Getting older is easier when your spirit isn't gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment